WordPress Two-Factor Authentication TFA Description
The password is the standard security implementation in the computer world. However, passwords can be guessed, hacked, or intercepted.
To combat these weaknesses you should install two-factor authentication methods, which provide a secret login key with one time passwords (OTP) that are not vulnerable to brute-force attacks
Two-Factor Authentication Methods
The two-factor authentication (2FA) plugin from CreativeMinds can employ the following authentication methods:
- Google Authenticator – Require secret from Google’s secure app
- Mobile Phone SMS – Send a text message with a one-time key
- Email Code – Send a message with a one-time use code
- Email Link – Send a message with a one-time use link
The WordPress Two-Factor Authentication plugin also lets the WordPress administrator define which user roles require two-factor login credentials. The admin can of course apply our enhanced security check for all users.
Using One Time Passwords (OTP) and the User Registration Plugin
- Improve WordPress site security – Add an additional unique level of security to each user account with a secret key, helping to block hackers, bots, malicious users and other unwanted intruders
- Define which accounts need enhanced password security – Admin can define which account type needs OTP security access
- Define 2FA Expiration time – Admin can define how long each verification option is valid until the user needs to generate a new one
- Define time to logout – Admin can define how long each user can use their recent OTP login, in case they are not active for a defined amount of time
WordPress Two-Factor Authentication Plugin Localization
Localization SupportAll Front-End labels can easily be changed to any language so the user interface will speak your language.
|Plugin Labels Settings|
2FA Plugin Use Cases
- Protect Admin Accounts – If your site has sensitive information, it’s a good idea to protect powerful user as much as possible. Add Google Authenticator as a secondary password and feel at ease
- Only SMS – Allow users with the Subscriber role to log in only with the SMS link, so that they don’t have to remember and manage their passwords
WordPress Two-Factor Authentication Plugin Related Use Cases
- How to Create 2FA Login to Your Site With Google Authenticator
- How to Create 2FA Login to Your Site With Email
- How to Create 2FA Login to Your Site With SMS
- How to Improve Your WordPress Site Security
WordPress Two-Factor Authentication Plugin Additional Resources
- Plugin User Guide
- CreativeMinds WordPress Video Tutorials
- 7 Practical Ways to Improve WordPress User Registration and User Login Experience
- Improving Security on Your WordPress Site
- Two Factor Authentication and Secure Login in-depth website
2FA-Related Blog Resources
WordPress Two Factor Authentication Features
|Google Authenticator – Require users to enter a unique code generated by their Google Authenticator app. Google uses Time-based One Time Passwords (TOTP) and HMAC-based One Time Passwords (HOTP) to protect your website. Learn more|
|Mobile Phone SMS – Send a SMS to users with the one-time password when they try to log in. The plugin uses the reliable Amazon SMS service (AWS SNS). Learn more|
|Email Verification – Send a unique link to the users’ email each time they try to log in. Learn more|
|Email Code – Send a unique code to the users’ email each time try to log in. Learn more|
|Access by User – Set a different two-factor authentication method for each user|
|Access by Role – Define which user roles need enhanced 2FA. Require an extra layer of security for users who are prone to using a weak or common password|
|IP Limit – Define how many IP address each user role can use to log in. Learn more.|
|Device Number – Choose how many devices each user can use to log in. Learn more.|
|Override Password – Choose users who will only need the secondary authentication method. They won’t require a password|
|Define Expiration – Define the duration of each code sent to the user Once expired, the user will need to generate a new code|
|Customize Notifications – All notifications, including SMS and email templates, can be easily customized|
|External Login Form – Add external login forms using a simple shortcode|
WordPress Two Step Authentication Related Plugins
WordPress Two Factor Authentication Frequently Asked Questions
Does the SMS two factor authentication work in any country?
Does the SMS two factor authentication cost money?
Does the two factor service cost additional money?
How to use the Google Authenticator authentication?
The Google Authenticator app can be downloaded to an iPhone or an Android
It’s a free app. Once installed, you need to do an initial setup and after the setup it will produce a unique code to login to the site. Learn how to use it on Install Google Authenticator – Android – Google Account Help
How can the SMS service send a text if I don't have the user's mobile phone number?
Can I set the 2FA to only work for admin users?
Can each user use a different 2FA method?
Will it work with WooCommerce Form?
Secure Login and Two-Factor Authentication Image Gallery
Customer Reviews for the 2FA Plugin
- Super SecureNo one's data is safe anymore and passwords don't keep websites safe. This plugin is so secure and the extra authentication options are user-friendly and quick, so there are NO HEADACHES with login. Features are A+++.
- My clients are impressedAnd they are demanding ;) In all seriousness, no one trusts only passwords anymore. It's good to have a plugin to centralize all 2FA settings, so kudos for the CM team
- Many optionsThis plugin goes the extra mile by allowing you to set different authentication methods for each user. I'm sold
- Perfect for safetyI added the Google Authenticate 2FA to all users in my site and I feel much safer now!