Is Magento 2 better than its older version? Should you move to Magento 2.X?
Magento 2 has been live for a while now, so we gathered the top Magento statistics to help you figure out if it’s worth your time.
Tip: From what we’ve seen so far, you either love it or you hate it. While there are plenty of things that they still need to improve on (asap!), the new platform does bring some positive changes.
Why was Mangento 2 launched?
The main goal of Magento 2 is to create a personalized customer experience. Its advanced features allow big brands (B2C and B2B industries) to deliver high-quality services and an engaging shopping environment.
You can sell anytime, anywhere, as Magento 2 is designed to fit any device.
The platform offers a flexible architecture and promises to increase productivity. It is easy to use, thus enabling efficiency. It was designed to be touch-friendly, thus you can track sales or update products from your smartphone. Controlling the functionality, the content and the looks of your business has never been easier.
In other words, the old Magento has been stripped down and rebuilt from scratch. Magento 2 is quicker, safer and easier to use. The new platform provides a holistic set of features that improve the administrative options.
The final result: a fantastic shopping experience!
What numbers say: Magento 2 statistics
Let’s take a look at the numbers…
…around the world
According to SimilarTech, there are over 3,792 online stores and 3,595 unique domains that are currently built with Magento 2.
- The leading countries are:
- United States – 903 websites
- United Kingdom – 311 websites
- Netherlands – 193 websites
- Germany – 180 websites
- Australia – 141 websites
- France – 119 websites
- India – 116 websites
- Italy – 87 websites
- Canada – 85 websites
- Spain – 57 websites
- Other countries – 932 websites
A report from BuiltWith has similar results: 46.16% of the world’s online stores that are using Magento 2 are located in the U.S.
The research also shows all the business locations in the U.S. The top three are:
- The State of California, with 380 e-commerce stores using Magento 2
- The State of New York with 331 marketplaces
- The State of Florida with 133 online stores locations
…types of businesses
From retail online stores to business services and travel websites, numerous e-commerces use Magento 2 to promote their products and services. However, not all of them share the same rate of success.
According to this chart, there are seven main business categories in the online shopping world. There is a large gap between the first three and the following four.
The results show that people are mostly interested in:
- Business services
The audience is smaller for the following categories:
Magento 2 brings has just about 1,000 available extensions. Each of them was designed to make things easier for you and for your customers.
From plugins that enable your buyers to purchase directly from your Instagram account, to plugins that help you deliver real-time data to your customers – they’re all available.
Here is a short list of all the Magento 2 available extensions. You can learn more about each extension here.
- Pixlee (helps you create shoppable Instagram, galleries and Lookbooks to increase traffic from social media platforms)
- Dotmailer (Magento 2 stores can connect and synchronize data to their dotmailer account)
- Fooman Print Order Pdf (Helps you to stay organized and manage your orders)
- Blog (Introduces a blog section to your store, where you can display engaging content)
- Search Instant (Detects shoppers’ search criteria and delivers relevant results)
- Addressy (Validates customer billing information in real time)
- TaxJar (Automates sales tax calculations)
- B2B ERP Connect (Delivers real-time information to your customers)
- Nosto (Optimizes marketing campaigns)
- Featured products (Customizable layout for your products)
- OneStep checkout (Increase your conversion rate by reducing cart abandonment)
- PCA Predict (Capture accurate details for your customers)
- Springbot (Marketing automation and email analytics)
- Pepperjam Network (Services that will help you promote your brand)
- MailChimp (Create targeted email campaigns)
Pros and Cons of Magento 2
Enough with the numbers. Let’s dig a little deeper into the pros and cons of the new Magento platform.
- The new Admin Panel is perfect for non-tech savvy users, as it is really easy to use. It is easier to maintain, thus providing unsurpassed functionality.
- The built-in Full Page Cache makes the loading time of Magento 2 much faster. It features over 50 % faster page loads over catalogs and checkout pages. The new platform ensures an enhancing customer experience and increased conversions.
- It features new payment gateways, such as PayPal, Braintree, Authorize.net, WorldPay, CyberSource. Remember: security is a key component of Magento 2
- It is impossible to port your old Magento 1 themes directly to the new platform;
- Not all the extensions you used before work on Magento 2;
- The Magento 2 Community edition is free, but the Enterprise Edition has a price tag on it. It also features great benefits such as enhanced site management, enhanced catalog management, marketing and management features, unlimited support.
Here is a 20 minutes video overview of Magento 2 to help you get a better grasp of what your Ecommerce can achieve using it:
Although Magento 2 comes with a wide range of great features, not everybody is a big fan of the platform.
- On one side, there are thousands of Ecommerce and important brands using it.
- On the opposite side, the Internet is loaded with negative reviews regarding the new Magento.
Then again, people are different and so are their opinions.
An honest opinion about Magento 2
Migrating to Magento 2 takes time and patience. We’ve been there and we’ve done that.
The truth is that there are still many issues that need to be fixed, especially when it comes to bugs. It happened to us a few months ago: every time we thought things were starting to work, there was a new bug making things difficult…
Our expectations were different from everything that happened, but we stayed positive and things worked out eventually. We managed to find solutions for every problem we encountered and the end results are amazing.
You can read more about our adventure here.
Therefore, if you are migrating your e-commerce to Magento 2, we advise you to arm yourself with patience. In the end, all those annoying bugs will be fixed.
The new Magento platform has the ability to provide the functionality and the flexibility you need for your online business.
Click here for additional support and maintenance services for Magento.
Do you have any questions or need assistance with Magento 2?
We are ready to reply to your inquiries – whatever your questions might be. So, just send us a question using the form below and we will respond directly to your email.