2020 was a monumental year for eCommerce, and 2021 is shaping up to be even bigger.
As the eCommerce landscape changes rapidly, it can be hard to stay on top of the latest news and updates. But never fear – we make it our priority to keep you up to date on what you need to know.
In this blog, we’re taking a look at what one of the internet’s biggest eCommerce platforms has been up to. Here’s the latest news from Magento HQ.
Magento News and Updates 2021
Like every year, Magento has provided users with a scheduled update every quarter. Here’s what each update has bought us so far in 2021.
Magento 2.4.2 – February 2021
- Support for Online Payments. This update helped to streamline the purchase approvals experience for buyers.
- Image Optimization for the Media Gallery. Introduced in update 2.4, the Media Gallery now has image optimization to improve storefront rendering performance.
- Improvements to PWA Studio. The Magento team continued to make it easier to build Progressive Web Apps, by increasing time to market and reducing costs.
- Introducing In-Product Guidance. This update introduced In-Product Guidance, delivering a personalized experience to Magento users with the goal being an improved awareness of Magento’s many excellent features.
- Quality and Performance Improvements. The update also contained several performance and quality updates to further enhance your Magento experience.
Magento 2.4.3 – August 2021
- Platform Quality Improvements. One of the updates main focusses was on general performance and quality improvements, like reduced indexing time for Product Price and Catalog Rules.
- Security Boost. Expansion of ReCaptcha and protection against spam and misuse were also on the list of security updates.
- Better Wishlists for PWA This update made it easier for shoppers to track and save items to their personal wishlists.
Additional Magento Updates 2021
As well as our regularly scheduled updates, there have also been some additional releases that are important to highlight.
Page Builder for All!
In July, Magento made their Page Builder available to all merchants.
The announcement states: “Merchants who start on Magento Open Source benefit from Page Builder’s easy-to-use WYSIWYG content authoring and have a more seamless upgrade path to Adobe Commerce as their businesses grow.”
The move is a positive one for users of Magento Open Source, allowing them to make the most of the intuitive Page Builder feature to improve both the content creation process and the user experience.
Live Search for Adobe Commerce
In June 2021, Adobe announced that it was introducing a live search function for all Adobe Commerce users.
The feature is powered by Adobe Sensei, Adobe’s powerful live search functionality.
This new live search functionality provides shoppers with better search results, accounting for common spelling variants and those all-to-common spelling mistakes that shoppers are likely to make when searching for a product.
It’s the technology of the future, delivered now. Find out more about the live search update over on the Magento website.
Magento in 2021
2021 is shaping up to be another strong year for the eCommerce giant.
The latest Magento news and updates show how committed they are to updating and improving the platform, making it more accessible, user friendly, and one of the best eCommerce platforms around.
But, with 2021 rapidly heading towards its close and 2022 on the horizon, is there anything you’d like to see on the agenda for the coming year?